Monday, May 5, 2014

Monday Night Dinner

Mel, this one's for you.

I was trying to come up with dinners for the week and remembered we had some fresh beets in the fridge that needed to be used. A roasted beets salad is always good but I wanted to try something different this time. Last summer, at our only visit to the Mukilteo farmer's market, I had a vegetable quesadilla that was so full of hearty vegetables it was surprising how delicious it tasted. I decided I would try my hand at making veggie quesadillas in the same manner. Oh boy, they were good! I always think of my dad when I surprise myself with a really delicious meal--he is usually the first one to compliment himself on a meal well done and tonight, I felt like doing the same. When I knew David wasn't watching but Edelyn was, I gave myself a pat on the back. I still got caught by Dave. Oh well, it was a delicious dinner. Also, an appropriate meal for celebrating Cinco de Mayo northwest style: just a touch of Mexican, mostly crunchy.


Sauteed 'Winter' Vegetable Quesadillas.
Serves 4-6

1 fresh beet, peeled and shredded
1 pasilla pepper, seeded and diced
1 red onion, sliced
5-6 stalks brocolette, chopped (I think it could handle more)
6 cloves garlic, crushed
Butter
8 oz. Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
6 tortillas

Add butter to warm pan over medium heat and saute garlic and onions until fragrant and onions are starting to soften. Add beets, pepper and brocolette and cook until vegetables are soft. Remove from pan and set aside. Using the same pan (if large enough), place tortilla in pan and spread the vegetable mix over one half of the tortilla. On top of the vegetables, sprinkle some shredded cheese and fold the other half of the tortilla over. Cook until tortilla begins to brown then flip to brown the other side. Remove from pan and let cool a minute or two then slice into wedges and serve with sour cream, salsa, or enjoy all on their own!





No comments:

Post a Comment